- Providing free, Universal Basic Education for every Nigerian Child of School age;
- Developing in the entire citizenry a strong consciousness for education and a strong commitment to its vigorous promotion;
- Reducing drastically the incidence of drop-out from the formal school system;
- Ensuring the acquisition of appropriate level of literacy, numeracy; communicative and life skills;
- Preserving and complementing the existing educational structure, bodies and agencies for the purpose of realizing the Board’s mission; and
- Carrying out the policy guidelines prescribed by Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) and other relevant agencies as approved by the State Government.
Oyo State Primary Education Board (SPEB) was established through Edict No 2 of 1994.
The SPEB later metamorphosed into Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) with the enactment of Universal Basic Education Law which was passed in 2004 at the Federal level and replicated by the State in 2005.
There are seven (7) departments in this establishment namely:
- Planning Research and Statistics (PR&S)
- Standard and Quality Assurance (SQA)
- Social Mobilization and Information Communication Technology (SM&ICT)
- School Services (SS)
- Finance and Account (F&A)
- Administration and supply
PLANNING RESEARCH & STATISTICS DEPARTMENT
- Co-ordinating and implementing Action/Rolling plans for all UBEC/SUBEB Intervention projects;
- Co-ordinating activities of Consultants for UBEC assisted Teachers Professional Development Training (TPDT);
- Generating and managing Basic Education Data/Statistics;
- Participating in the monitoring of UBEC Intervention in Special Education Projects.
SCHOOL SERVICES DEPARTMENT
- Co-ordinating, Providing , Distributing and Monitoring of
- Instructional/Recreational Materials to Public Basic schools;
- Co-ordinating Special Needs Education Programmes for the Physically and Mentally Challenged;
- Providing School Library Services;
- Co-ordinating JETS, MAN, STAN and other Science/Mathematics
- related activities in schools;
- Co-ordinating sporting activities in schools; and
- Co-ordinating Early Childhood Education Programme
SOCIAL MOBILIZATION & INFORMATION COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
- Conducting sensitization activities;
- Soliciting Community Participation through School Based Management Committees (SBMC);
- Conducting advocacy/training programmes on HIV/AIDS;
- Facilitating of ICT – aided education delivery and setting up of IT Centres; and
- Co-ordinating all UNICEF assisted activities and conduct of annual orientation & training for school environmental Health Club.
STANDARD & QUALITY ASSURANCE DEPARTMENT
- Monitoring and supervising of teaching/learning activities in Schools;
- Ensuring effective utilization of instructional materials in schools;
- Monitoring the conduct of Internal and External examinations in schools;
- Ensuring strict compliance to Government’s directive and policy statements;
FINANCE AND ACCOUNTS DEPARTMENT
Payment of teaching & non-teaching staff salaries and allowances;
Preparing monthly internally generated revenue returns to the office of the Accountant-General;
Preparing yearly Financial Accounts for the External-Auditors; and
Effecting payment to contractors after due approval by the Executive Chairman.
ADMINISTRATION AND SUPPLIES DEPARTMENT
- Recruitment, Discipline, Promotion , Posting and transfer of teaching and non-teaching staff;
- Co-ordinating delivery and distribution of instructional materials supplied to the Board by UBEC, Abuja to all Public Basic Schools in the state; and Procuring and distributing of stationery and office materials.
- Monitoring of teaching staff of the Board
- Promotion of Teaching staff including advancement etc.
- Discipline of staff.
- Posting/ Development of Teaching/Non-teaching Staff.
- Conversion of Teaching Staff.
- Retirement processing of Teaching and non-Teaching staff.
- Processing of leave of absence of teaching staff
- Appointment of teaching staff.
- Interpreting the extant rules on Personnel issues
- Confirmation of appointment and promotion of staff
|NURENI ADEREMI ADENIRAN||EXECUTIVE CHAIRMAN|
Nureni Aderemi Adeniran is a politician, educationist and forthright administrator from Oyo State, south-western Nigeria. A former Senior Lecturer at the famous Lead City University, Ibadan. He commenced his educational career with post-primary education career at Moslem Grammar School, Odinjo, Ibadan, where he earned his West African School Certificate/GCE O’levels. He thereafter proceeded to Oyo State College of Arts and Science, Ile-Ife where he passed his Higher School Certificate and GCE A’levels.
Young Nureni subsequently gained admission to the University of Ibadan to study Adult Education and Political Science. After the required years in UI. He graduated with a Bachelor of Education, 2nd Class (Honours) Upper Division in 1990.
He cut his professional teeth as a Youth corps member at Kaduna Polytechnic, where he served as a Lecturer in Government and Public Administration. His professional career continued at University of Ibadan Extra Mural Unit where he served as a Part time teacher after his service year.
Nureni’s insatiable and in-depth quest for education led him back to the four walls of classroom where he furthered his educational pursuit with a Master of Education, Specializing in Communication Arts and thereafter earned a Ph.D in Communication Arts & Community Development from the University of Ibadan, in 1992 and 2001 respectively.
Dr. Nureni Adeniran was formerly the Executive Chairman of Ibadan South West Local Government, a position he held from 1999-2002 and was known for his giant strides as the Chairman. During his active years as a lecturer at Lead City University, Dr. Adeniran went back to class, to study Law. He bagged LLB (Hon) from the University of Ibadan with 2nd Class (Honours) Upper Division from the University of Ibadan and thereafter proceeded to the Nigerian Law School, Lagos, where he passed the Bar Final Examination and subsequently was called to the Nigerian Bar as a Solicitor and Advocate of Supreme Court of Nigeria. A proud feat, you would say!
At Lead city University, Dr. Adeniran taught Undergraduate specialized courses, as well as post graduate courses, some of which were Research Design and Methodology, Use of English for Mass Communication, Scholarly and Technical Report Writing, Theories of Mass Communication, Advanced Communications Theories, Advanced Research Design and Methodology, among others. Other Academic responsibilities he was saddled with included, but were not limited to: Teaching Practice supervisor for the Faculty of Education Regular Students, University of Ibadan; Teaching Practice supervisor, Centre of External Studies, UI; Part Time Lecturer at the Department of Adult Education, UI.
He was also a Facilitator at the National Open University, Ibadan Centre in the following courses: Introduction to Journalism, Speech writing, News reporting and Media Law and Ethics.
He established his Law firm: Avid Solicitors in Ibadan, where he practiced along with other lawyers as Legal Practitioner and Consultant.
His passion for change and development of the Nigeria Political scenery has led him to be an active participant in the Political trajectory in Oyo State. Apart from being a former Executive Chairman at Ibadan South West, Dr. Adeniran was a Member, LAUTECH Teaching Hospital Management Board. A two-time Commissioner, who supervised the Ministry of Industry, Applied Science and Technology between June 2009-Nov 2010. He also supervised Ministry of Education, Science and Technology between 2010-2011 under the former government of Otunba Christopher Alao Akala.
His recent political positions include, being a Member, PDP Presidential Campaign Council for Atiku 2019; Director General, Oyo State PDP Presidential Campaign Co-ordinator for Atiku 2019 and Secretary, Oyo State PDP Governorship Campaign Council for ‘Seyi Makinde 2019.
Dr. Nureni Adeniran’s passion lies in human capital development. He is a Certified Member of many professional bodies and associations, such as Nigerian National Council of Adult Education, Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) and Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN). He has facilitated at several workshops, presented many papers and trained at several seminars, such as Workshop for All Political Functionaries and Aspirants at Osogbo by Osun State Chapter of Alliance for Democracy; 2nd Oyo State Economic summit organised by the State Planning Commission; a Workshop held on Sustainable Human Development at IITA, Conference centre in 2001 among several others.
Likewise, he has attended many international conferences, such as: ‘The Urban Environment Forum Global Meeting’ held at Cape Town South Africa (September, 26-28, 2000), ‘United Nations International Conference on Learning from Best Practices’ held at Chengdu, China (Oct. 16-18, 2000); ‘International Summit on Good Governance’, held at Tema, Accra, Ghana (May 19, 2007) among others.
In June 2019, He was appointed Executive Chairman, Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board by the Executive Governor of Oyo State, Engr. Seyi Makinde.
Dr. Adeniran has participated in many Field Work and Sponsored Researches. He has served in numerous capacities in various Professional Bodies and Associations and has received an array of awards.
Dr. Adeniran also has to his credit many academic publications and papers in reputable and international journals. He is happily married with kids.
Latest from us
Adeniran Emerges Chairman of South-West SUBEB Chairmen
* Vows To Unanimously Develop Basic Education In The Region Executive Chairman, Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board, Dr. Nureni Adeniran has been chosen as the […]
SDG Presents Instructional Materials To Oyo Public Primary Schools
Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board, (OyoSUBEB) has taken delivery of instructional/learning materials, students edition textbooks for the global SDG, ICT Materials and sporting facilities for […]
Gov. Makinde Commissions Primary School Projects Donated By Alumnus
The Executive Governor of Oyo State, Engineer Seyi Makinde has commissioned 2 blocks of 6 classrooms and teachers’ quarters at All Saints Primary School, Araromi-Aperin, Akanran, […]